Aren’t these the most adorable looking cookies? These cookies are very buttery delicate and not overly sweet . The jam filling add just extra bonus touch of fresh sweetness. They are also pretty easy to make! I am happy my co-worker’s mom has shared this wonderful recipe with me. Thanks my co-worker for translating the recipe!
For those who can read German. Here is the original recipe
- 175g Mehl,
- 65g Zucker
- 1 Packung Vanillezucker (oder 1 Teeloeffel Vanilleessenz)
- 2 Eigelb
- 125g Butter oder Margarine
Für die Füllung braucht man rote Marmelade, was immer man gerade hat. Die Zutaten werden zu einem Mürbeteig verarbeitet und kühlgestellt.
Anschließend formt man kleine Kügelchen aus dem Teig, macht mit einem mehlbestäubten Holzlöffelstiel eine Vertiefung (Mulde) in die einzelnen Kügelchen und füllt etwas Marmelade hinein.
Auf einem gefetteten Backblech (oder Backpapier) 10-12Min. bei ca.175°Celsius backen.
Here is the translation! ;-)
- 175g flour ( I used pastry flour)
- 65g sugar
- 1 package of vanilla sugar (I still have my very limited supply from my last Germany trip back in 2010 ;-) You can also substitute with half a vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract)
- 2 egg yolks (this is the key why these cookies are so delicate!)
- 125g butter (I used unsalted butter with a tiny pinch of salt)
- ~3 tablespoon of your favourite jam – recently I have been using Maple Syrup Pumpkin and I really like it!
It is actually very simple. You put together all the above ingredients following sweet paste method. The key is don’t warm up and cream you better to incorporate too much air. Just mix sugar and butter until all evenly incorporated. Add your yolks gradually, and sift all the flour into the butter mixture at once. The cookies dough will turn out a bit wet and too soft to handle. You should warp the dough in plastic warp and put it in the fridge for at least a couple hours (better yet, over night). Then they will be much easier to handle.
When you are ready to bake this cookies, just take the dough out and evenly portion the dough. I like to use my ice-cream scoop for quick & easy portioning. You then roll out the cookie dough into perfectly roll balls. Then use top of wooden spoon to poke a hole in the middle for filling jam. Be careful when you are poking that hole, you don’t want to push all the way down to the bottom because jam will be leaking!
Baking in 350F oven for 10 minutes.